Friday, October 7, 2011


By on 7:38 AM

Capital gain on sale of certain assets is exempted on purchase/construction of specified assets under section 54,54B,54EC,54F subject to few conditions.These exemption has been tabulated on the basis of following points.
  1. Who can claim exemption 
  2. Eligible assets sold 
  3. Assets to be acquired for exemption
  4. Time limit for acquiring the new assets
  5. Exemption Amount
  6. Whether "Capital gain deposit account  scheme" applicable

So it is easy to understand these exemption at a glance . Further these exemption are in depended to each other and person can claim combination of two ,if he is eligible otherwise.

Long Term Capital Gain - Exemption
Who can claim exemption
Any person
Eligible assets sold
A residential
House property
(minimum holding period 3 year)
Agriculture land which  has been   used   by   assessee himself or by his parents for agriculture purposes during last 2 yrs of transfer
Any   long-term capital assets (minimum holding period 3 years) 
Any long term asset (other  than  a residential  house  property ) provided on the date of transfer the taxpayer does not own more than one residential house property from  the assessment year 2001-02 (except the new house)
Assets to be acquired for exemption
Residential house property
Another agriculture land
(urban or rural)
Bond of NHAI or
Residential house property
Time limit for acquiring the new assets
Purchase :1 year back or
2    y e a r   f o r w a r d , Construction:   3   year forward
2 yrs forward
6 months forward
Purchase :1 year back or 2 year forward, Construction:
3 year forward
Exemption Amount
Investment in the new assets or capital gain, which ever is lower
Investment in
the agriculture land or capital gain, which ever is lower
Investment   in   the new assets or capital gain,  which  ever  is lower (Max. Rs.  50
Lacs in Fin. Yr.)
Investment in the new assets / Net
Sale consideration X capital gain
Whether "Capital gain deposit account  scheme" applicable
not applicable

Kindly note that rural agricultural land is fully exempted from tax as it is not covered under capital assets definition under income tax act. Agricultural land in the 54B above is other than rural agricultural land.
Rural Agricultural land means an agricultural land in India:
  1. if situated in any area which is comprised within the jurisdiction of a municipality (whether known as a municipality, municipal corporation, notified area committee, town committee or by any other name) and its population should be less than 10,000 as per the last published census, or
  2. if situated outside the limits of municipality, etc., it should be situated certain kilometers away from the local limits of any municipality, etc. as may be specified by the Central Government in the Official Gazette. The Central Government can notify urban land upto maximum 8 kms from the limits of municipality, etc.

About Syed Faizan Ali

Faizan is a 17 year old young guy who is blessed with the art of Blogging,He love to Blog day in and day out,He is a Website Designer and a Certified Graphics Designer.


  1. No mention about purchase of new residential property in joint names (Wife and Husband for the purpose of arriving at the loan eligibility from a Bank when the old asset sold (solely in Individual name) In this context, Section 54 can be availed?

  2. I have 60 lacks of Long term capital gain by selling a property in Jan 2016. I will be buying a house next year 2017 and therefore put the entire money in Capital gain account in SBI (sec 54). Should I show the CG details in AY 16-17 or next year AY 17-18? Is it ok if I claim 1% TDS on sale of property in AY 16-17 itself?
    Amit (